Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Unusual Blog

I don't usually blog about things like this. I like to keep it light and humorous, but I'll be honest and let the blogging world in on a little secret. I have been very down lately. I guess the lighthearted blogs were a way of showcasing the fun things in life. The things that make me smile and I could retreat for a short time into the happy things and just laugh or smile. But today, as I woke up I just felt so sad. For different reasons, none of which I feel I need to share in this blog (I'm not that open of a person), but then something caught my eye. I was checking the usual sites (email, myspace, facebook, blogspot) and then I decided to go to biblegateway.com. It's just basically the bible online but you can search in all kinds of translations and compare, so I like to use it. The verse of the day was Psalm 62:1-2 "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. 2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."



I just started to cry (again). Lately I have felt so shaken. And what makes it most difficult is that I don't want anybody to know so I try even harder to appear strong and immovable. I could feel myself starting to slip though. It's hard to keep that up for weeks on end. At times, you just have to be human, let your guard down and be vulnerable, I guess.



I went on to read all of Psalm 62, and I would like to share it with you today.


1 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
3 How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down—this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. Selah
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God [a] ; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah
9 Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion or take pride in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong,
12 and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.

I love that I can pour out my heart to Him. I even try to keep that to myself at times and just assume that God has other things on His mind. But He is the one place I can go to and just pour out my heart and find peace, hope, and rest. My other favorite part is the end. "You, O God, are strong, and You, O Lord, are loving." The two things I seem to be most deficient on lately are strength and love. So, to know that God is both of these things and I can stop trying to find strength and love in outside sources is just a load off my back! I've known all of this, but somehow I get to the place where I need to be reminded. So, maybe you need to be reminded today.

On a side note. There is a cat at my back window. It has watched me type this entire blog. I hate cats. Every time I look over at it, it just licks the window. I guess God likes to keep things humorous after all.

10 comments:

Fortner Family said...

Oh Leslie I just love you!! Thanks for sharing you heart and I'm praying for you. PS...I love the new background!

Sarah said...

Hey Les,

Thanks for sharing! Please know I am here if you need to vent to someone. I am just a phone call away. I will be praying for you! Love you!

mandal said...

That's what I love about you...you are so real and down to earth. You are in my prayers. Last fall I had a bad spell and it was really hard. But God is so good to show us his love and grace and bring us out!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you... I am coming out of a season of deep sadness and grief so I understand. Your thoughts from the Bible were insightful and encouraging.

Anonymous said...

I know this so going to sound kinda of strange because I am sure you don't know me all that well. I am Tiffany better know as Trevor and Allison's mom! Or the people who work every sunday morning in the babys class. Anyway I am new to the blog whole blog world.
I have in enjoyed reading yours and many others blogs.

CONNIE said...

This is why you are such an awesome worship leader, because you are real! That's what I love about Psalms, David was so real about all of his emotions and always comes out worshipping God. Write those songs girl! I love you and I am praying for you!

The Barnyards said...

Praying for you friend. Driving home today. Let me know if you need anything or if I can be of any comfort to you! Lets talk soon! Bless you today!

Jennifer said...

Gosh Leslie! You're such a sap! Lighten up, will ya?


Personally, I tend to resort to humor and sarcasm if in a serious moment for over 2.3 minutes.

Great blog. Nothing wrong with those moments when balanced with, let's say, kid-clawing-lobster-boy stories.
In fact...i've personally had several serious blogs in a row- which is about to put me over the edge...and I'm currently working on a funny one.
So I get what you're putting down home dawg.

The Louders said...

I love you, Les. Fill her up and overflow, Oh Lord. Your love is overwhelming and sometimes all we have to hold on to. Thank you for sharing, Les. You always speak to my heart, which I know wasn't the intent, but still. Funny how God does that. And that dadgum, cat, I think it's the same one in my backyard!

Maggie said...

Leslie, I'm Abby's sister and I always check out all the blog links on her blog. Well, today I just checked yours and I definitely know why God led me here. I needed to hear (read!) that! Thank you!