Thursday, October 16, 2008

Compliment....I think.

On Sunday, I got a really nice compliment. Two of my dear friends told me that they had been talking about me over the weekend. It all started with a trip to Forever 21. Apparently there were a few girls in the dressing room with a screaming baby in a stroller. After lots and lots of crying and no attempt from any of the girls to console the baby or to even break away from trying on things, the baby proceeds to puke in the dressing room. At that point, one of the girls offers the baby a cookie and some juice. Not really a great idea right after the baby has thrown up. Well, one of my dear friends can't really handle things like throw up. Just the sound of it sends her into the gagging state. She and the other friend were frantically trying to get their own clothes back on so they could get out of the dressing room and escape the whole scene. The girls and the baby had left by this point, leaving the poor teenager with an after school job at Forever 21 to clean up the mess.

So this brings me to the compliment. Thank you for your patience. They told me that they decided I was the coolest mom they knew and that I should teach a class or something on it. Here are three of the qualifications they came up with that earned me the title in their eyes.
#1- I continued to live my life even after I had kids. Even though to me it feels like everything slowed WAY down, they said I just seemed to keep going. I bring my kids along and didn't put everything on hold just because kiddos came along. I have always felt like it was very important to just include them in the things in our lives that are very important to us. I don't think it's an accident that Taylor has her own guitar and Ava thinks she has to sing songs on a microphone, preferably on a stage. Alan and I decided long ago that since worship is a huge part of our lives we wanted to include our girls in it too.
#2- I don't obsess over little things. This includes things like eating things off the floor. Honestly, I decided long ago that things like that don't really bother me. I know about germs, I know about disease and all the nasty things could be living on the floor. I think that this practice of the 5-second rule is a big reason why my kids are rarely sick. In all of Ava's two years she has had a few ear infections and excema. That's pretty much it. I don't think food off the floor really contributes to dry skin, so I can pretty much rule that one out. Now let me clarify that this only includes food that has just fallen. I do not promote making a buffet out of things that have been on the floor for an unidentified number of days. I'm sure there are other things, but this seems to be the best example.
#3- My friends think that my kids are cool. I guess this is a reflection of me. They think I'm cool, so that makes my kids cool. I think they're pretty cool.

So that's pretty much it. I don't think I could teach a class or anything. And I should probably also say that these two friends don't have kids themselves. One of them never wants kids and the other one is in no hurry. She actually doesn't want to birth her own kids. That part freaks her out. So, I'm not sure how valid their opinions are, but I will still take the compliment!

7 comments:

The Louders said...

Good post. I agree...you are cool and you do keep doing life. Callie will say the same thing about them, and I've always loved that. And I love that about y'all, and plus, I agree about the food off the floor.
Hope I learn from your coolness and greatness in my quest of motherhood.
You're a #1 MOM, oh yeah!

Denae said...

I love it that I knew exactly who the friends were...even before the part about them not having kids! For some reason, I could just picture them in this scenario.

But I do have to say that I'm a huge germaphobe so the eating off the floor thing makes me cringe. However, I can't say that I haven't let Will eat off the floor...I just pretend that I am oblivious to it and would definitely never write about it because that would be acknowledging that it happens. Oh, did I just write that? Whoops. :) Well, at least I don't let a day go by without asking Chris ten times if he washed his hands.

Sarah said...

I think I know who your friends might be... and I totally agree with them. You are a great mom! I always knew you would be a good mom back in the day when we were roomies even though Lucy the crazy dog was the only "parent practice" you had. I wish I was as brave as you with the germ thing but I am afraid I will be the crazy mom with the hand sanitizer and clorox wipes.

Liz said...

you are da coolest!!!!!!!!! love ya!
I confess tho, your life makes me tired!

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree that you are one of the coolest moms I know. I try to be like you every day. I know I am a little over concerned at times and too uptight, but I am trying to be more laid back like you. You may not be teaching a class, but trust me you are teaching me everyday!

Dominika said...

How funny! I too don't fret over the "just fallen" food, and my Ava is rarely ever sick (can you believe she's NEVER had an ear infection?!?).

I think you've been paid a wonderful compliment and you should be proud of being such a great mom. You've got 2 beautiful girls already and soon you're going to have 3. They're very lucky to have you.

And I Kelsey is right...you may not teach a class but through reading your blogs you've inspired me as well! :)

Jennifer said...

I agree with the "annonymous" friends :) You are by far one of the coolest moms I know! I remember being in awe of how quickly you bounced back to regular life after you had Ava...in fact I think I felt a little sheepish about milking my maternity leave with Annie for all it was worth:) You are awesome!!!
And for the record I will say that my germaphobia is in a bit of remission since the "Annie at the airport chewing gum incident" Sometimes you do just have to live life and trust God:)