Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Someone Special

Almost two weeks ago my grandfather was put in the hospital with pretty severe pneumonia. After a day or two in a regular room he was moved to ICU as his condition was just worsening. The worst part about it all is when his spirits get down he just seems to lose hope that he will ever get out of the hospital. When I went to visit him a few days ago, I was not prepared for what I saw. This giant of a man (in my eyes) was so frail and in so much pain. He had this huge respirator mask on his face that made it almost impossible for him to talk which only caused him more frustration. The mask kept him from wearing his glasses and his hearing aids, so the frustration just mounted. When I went up to visit he said he was not eating any more because he was just going to die right there in that bed. This was so hard for me to see and hear. What was so amazing was to watch my grandmother who is not in great health herself sit there and just rub his head and his arm trying to keep his frustration level down. She just kept saying positive things and smiling at him. She is my hero. I will have to write a blog about her later. Pepa is by no means a perfect man, but in the last two years I have made an effort to make my grandmother and him a bigger part of my life. Since I now have kids of my own, I have wanted to make sure that they got to know their great grandparents. I have tried to go see them at least once a week and try to take them dinner from time to time. I'm not trying to brag on myself, I just want to do whatever I can to help them out and bring them a little joy. Ava has become quite attached to her Mema and Pepa and they are so enamored with her! Even when they are feeling really sick they love to see her. They have always said that she is the best therapy. Every time we go over Taylor cleans their fish pond in the back yard and Ava just performs and puts on a show for them. She also has some books over there that she gets out and Pepa reads them to her every time. These times are so precious to me and I know that I will never forget them. I am praying for you Pepa! Get well soon so we can come over for a visit!


Ava and Pepa on Halloween.
Taylor and Pepa on Halloween.
This is my favorite picture! Ava and Pepa were taking a water break one day this summer.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am sorry your Pepa is sick. This post is so sweet, sounds like you have made many memories with them. Grandparents are special people!

CONNIE said...

I am praying for him! How awesome that you have taken the time for them! I know that is very special to them.

Patti said...

Hi Leslie, please tell your grandparents we love them and are praying for them. We have some very precious memories of them each--several years ago :). You are richly blessed.
love and prayers, Ron & Patti Hogue