Friday, December 12, 2008

Loving to cook

I have had cooking/baking fever lately. The only problem is that it is almost impossible to cook anything in a house with two little kids at home all day! Ava wants to help, but there is not much a two year old can do and it's still too hard to gauge Molly Kate's nap times which is when I try to get all the cooking out of my system. I realize I should be using this time to clean or do some laundry or napping myself, but I just gotta get in that kitchen and cook! Yesterday I made Cake Balls. I got the recipe from my friend Marla's blog. She got it from another blog. Anyways, they were such a huge mess to make that I nearly gave up and just pitched it all in the trash, but I perservered! So now today I am finding reasons of why I need to go eat another cake ball! It was definitely worth the 24 hours of red-stained hands from rolling the little balls. Luckily, I sent most of them with Taylor to school. She had to bring treats for her class today. And tomorrow is my grandpa's birthday, so I'm taking some to him this afternoon! Which brings me to my next cooking endeavor. My Pepa's favorite snack is Jalapeno Poppers. Not the frozen ones you buy at Sam's in a jumbo box of 4 dozen, but real, homemade ones. He will fire up his grill at 3:00 in the afternoon just to cook 2 or 3 jalapeno poppers. So, I made some for him today. Again, this is not a great thing for Ava to help with, and of course she wanted to. It's hard to explain that the seeds I'm scraping out are very hot and she can't touch them. And then I have to explain to her why she can't eat raw bacon. We are just wrapping the peppers in it to cook.
Two nights ago, I cooked Chicken Fried Steak for the first time in my life! Alan thought I called his mom and asked her how to make it. He didn't believe that I just knew how to do it! Actually, I owe it all to my dear friend, Twila. Twila used to stay with us when we were little when my parents went out of town. My mom was quite the health nut when we were little so I had never had Chicken Fried Steak, or at least never seen it made in my house. So when Twila came, she introduced us to the world of high-calorie, high-fat foods! So, Tuesday night, I did it! Homemade gravy and all! It was really good too, surprisingly!
I have many more items on my cooking wish list this week, so I'll let you know how it all turns out. If you have any fabulous recipes I need to know about, let me know! I love to try making new things.

6 comments:

The Barnyards said...

Greatness!!! I love me some chicken fried steak but have still never made it!

Everyone who tried the cake balls said the same thing! TOO much work! Were they good atleast?? I'm afraid to try them now. :) Fun times in the kitchen..I can't wait until Jonah's(and River!) old enough to clean up the kitchen as I cook...what a glorious day that will be! :)

See you soon, friend!

CONNIE said...

Girl, you put me to shame! I love to cook also at this time of year.
I can't believe all you are doing with a 2 year old, a new baby and a c-section!!! I think you deserve a day at the spa for cooking chicken fried steak, that is also a messy, long endeavor!

Leslie said...

I agree with you Connie! I think I deserve a day at the spa too!!!

Denae said...

Wow, Leslie...I can't believe you are cooking!

About the cake balls...I have been making them for awhile and I have found that the best way to do it without it feeling so overwhelming is to do them in stages. I'm not sure if the recipe you have says to refrigerate the balls after you mix them with the cream cheese icing, but I take that opportunity to clean everything up and then I don't dip the balls in the chocolate until much later or the next day. Then you only have another small mess to clean up. It is still a task and not something you just whip up...but I think they are worth it every now and then! :)

Paige Allen said...

Love that you still remember how to make chicken fried steak from Twila! I still remember helping her in our King's Park house - just amazed that we could eat something fried that was made at home!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paige, I can't believe you still remember how to make that. I need you to teach me how. Heath would be so excited!! Do you remeber the night she made nachos. No just any nachos, but the ones with the homemade chips. That was to die for.

I'll join you are the spa if you need a buddy!