Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hardest question of the week.

This weekend has been very busy! Alan left at about 4:30 am on Friday headed for two weeks in Israel! It is very much a God-ordained and orchestrated trip so even in my hesitation about handling the girls alone for 14 days, I am so excited for him. Yesterday, my cousin Jay graduated from high school. We went to the graduation and to a party for him afterwards. It was lots of fun with family and good friends.

On Friday, I took the girls over for a visit with Mema and Pepa. Pepa's daughter, Cynthia, granddaughter, Christy, and great-grandson, Riley were in town visiting from Dallas. His spirits are always up when Cynthia comes for a visit. You can tell they have a special bond. He had been asking to see the girls, so I wanted to go as soon as I heard that. We stayed for a good long while. At one point it was just me and Cynthia back in his room. He asked for me to come over to his bed and he asked if I would pray about something. Of course, I said sure. He then asked the hardest question I think I've ever been asked. He asked if I would pray about doing the music at his funeral. I have sung at many funerals before, even for family members (which is not easy for me, and usually results in tears or a complete breakdown). I had never been asked though by the actual person, and for Pepa to ask was a strange realization for me. With big tears in my eyes, I looked into his tear filled eyes and said that I would be honored to do that. I asked him if he had any songs in mind, and he said he would be thinking about it and wanted me to do the same. I then took his hand and said that we still had time to decide and he squeezed my hand and just looked away out the window. I don't know if I've ever had a conversation with someone like that who knew that they were dying, and that it would probably happen soon. I kept it together just long enough to load up the girls and get out of the driveway. As I was driving away, the Lord put a song on my heart. I had only heard it one time, because it was on a brand new CD that I had just gotten the day before. I hurried home, grabbed the CD and listened to the song again. I want to share the words of it because it has really ministered to me this week. I don't know if I will sing it at the funeral, but I think either way I will share it with Pepa and hopefully it will bring him some comfort like it has me.

Soon by Brooke Ligertwood

Soon and very soon my King is coming
Robed in righteousness and crowned with love
When I see Him I shall be made like Him
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon I'll be going
To the place He has prepared for me
There my sin erased my shame forgotten
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon
See the procession
The angels and the elders 'round the throne
At His feet I'll lay my crowns, my worship
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon


Though I have not seen Him
My heart knows Him well
Jesus Christ the Lamb, the Lord of heaven

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I'll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon


Although I am not lying in a hospital bed knowing that my days are numbered, I realize that our time here on earth is so very short. What a great comfort to know that on the other side of this life is a place where we will see our Heavenly Father and spend eternity with Him. That brings me a lot of joy.

4 comments:

mandal said...

What a tough thing. It's hard watching our grandparents get old. What a tough but special moment for you and Pepa.

CONNIE said...

Wow Leslie, I will be praying for you! You are an amazing woman! (I've always known that though). 2 Cor. 1:3 is one of my favorite passages. The jest of it is that we go through tough times so that the Holy Spirit can comfort us and then later we use that comfort to comfort others who are going through a hard time. You have so allowed yourself to be used by God!
I love you!

Sarah said...

Leslie, I am so sorry you are sad. I know your Pepa is very special to you. It is obviously He loves you very much and so proud of the woman you have become. I will be praying for you, sweet friend.

Angie Classen said...

That story sure brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing song that captures everything perfectly. I know God cares about the details in life and the fact that He brought that song to your mind just proves it. I believe God will give you strength when the time comes. Love you friend!