Friday, March 27, 2009

Nurses are mean people

Today was Molly Kate's 4 month old check up. It was actually our second attempt at the 4 month old check up. On the first one, we found out she had an ear infection and had to do a round of antibiotics. So today, after rechecking the ears, she was cleared for the lovely 4 month shots. I hate when my kids get shots. Most mothers would hold their child, sing in their ear, lovingly pat them while they receive the shots, but not me. I am on the other side of the room. I am not afraid of needles or anything like that (I actually enjoy having my blood taken. I love watching it!). I, in no way, want my child to associate me with the pain that is being inflicted upon her. Now, my child is very smart. But in her 4 month old genius mind she can not rationalize that it is the mean nurse giving her the shot. If all she sees is my face in front of hers, shushing her and telling her it's all going to be ok, then that makes me the bad guy. So there I wait, on the other side of the room. When the shots are done, I swoop in and comfort her and save her from mean nurse Whitney. I am the hero. In her 4 month old genius mind she has not put two and two together yet and realized that I am the one who drove her to this place, and I am the one who undressed her and made her lay on that cold table. Nope, all she knows is that her wonderful mommy loves her and would never stick yucky needles in her. So I'm feeling pretty good about myself today!

Side note: Whitney is a FABULOUS nurse! It's just nice to have someone to take the blame for the awfulness of shots!

4 comments:

Enid said...

Awww... I love it when we are the good guys on the picture.!

Jenifer Davidson said...

Hey Les,
Dont worry. I am not a great mom who lovingly pats the child/baby either. I leave the room. When its over I follow the same routine, run in swoop baby or child off cold table, tell them its Whitneys fault LOL and then we go get ice cream...Molly Kate is a little young for that but maybe one day...so high five to you for being a great mom!!!!

Sarah said...

poor Mk! I don't know if I could handle that either. Good for you for taking her. LOL

mandal said...

Hey Leslie...I was going to say hey at Ready, Set, Go but I guess you left. You'll have to let me know how Taylor likes it. Our Taylor says she wants to do cheer next.