Thursday, August 20, 2009

The World According to Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart is such an interesting place. I go to Wal-Mart often and it never ceases to amaze me. On my last visit a few days ago, I was reminded of so many universal rules, but somehow the Wal-Mart atmosphere just brings it all home. Like, for example, I was reminded again that there is someone for everyone out there. I was standing in the checkout line and the couple behind me were just so made for eachother!! They were so strange and I don't even want to share what their conversation was about, but they were such a perfect match for one another. It reminded me of the couple I saw a few months ago at Wal-Mart who both had the biggest wads of chewing tobacco in their mouths. That's right, the girl's wad was actually slightly larger than the guys. And of course I don't realize it until I ask them a question from behind and they turn around to reveal the disgusting hunk of nasty stuffed in their lower lips. Only at Wal-Mart.

On another recent trip, I realized that kids can sleep anywhere, especially a Wal-Mart shopping cart. I was slighty alarmed to see one boy passed out on the bottom of the basket covered in stuff! I guess because it was mainly toilet paper and spray cans of cheese his parents thought he wouldn't get too squished. I'm telling you, no matter what time of day you go, you can find a sleeping kid in a basket somewhere in the store. It has always amazed me the number of small children that get dragged out to the store way past a normal bedtime! And they are never happy. What 3 year old would be? Who wouldn't be upset if their mom got them all dressed for bed in their comyf little pj's and then said, "Ok kids, get in the car! We're going to Wal-Mart! Yes, I know it's after 11:00 pm, but we are running low on toothpaste and motor oil. Let's go!"

Ok, now that I'm sitting here reflecting (judging) on my Wal-Mart experiences, I can only wonder, am I one of these "Wal-Mart people"?? Let's go through the list: 1. I don't dip. 2. I never take my kids to Wal-Mart past 8:00 pm. 3. I've never covered up one of my kids in spray cheese. I think I'm good!!

I must say, for all of it's craziness and quirks, I enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart. It's really close to my house. I always save money when I shop there opposed to other stores. I love that I can go to one place and buy groceries, toiletries, electronics, clothes, lightbulbs, and anything else I might possibly need, all at the same time!!!

6 comments:

Gordy and Ruth said...

I agree with you, Wal-Mart is it's own world. I am happy to say however many crazy things I have done I have never done any of the things on your list! Yeah for me! Have a good week!!

Denae said...

So I found out about this post from Chris when we were at Walmart last night and we saw a 6-month-old in a basket with nothing but a diaper on. Chris told me I had to come read your blog because it was about that very thing. But who am I to judge? We were at Walmart with Will past 8pm. :)

Fortner Family said...

I'm scared to go to Wal-Mart after 8pm!! But it is a great place to people watch which I LOVE to do.

Sarah said...

yeah.... you know how I feel about this place. Maybe I will appreciate it more when I have a family and need to do one stop shopping. BUT, I really do not like it and I have to talk myself into going there. It's scary. The one by my house just got a little fancier and it seems to help. :) Ok long comment... BYE!

Unknown said...

Ha! We sometimes take our kids in their jammies when we go close to bedtime so we can get them right to bed after we go. (all while pretending they are still clean from their bath after WM) Never lucky enough for them to go to sleep.

Grey Sky said...

Yeah after working at Wal-Mart for over a year now, I have quite a few stories. I'm just amazed at some of the things that go on. My current amazement has to do with the lengths that people are willing to go to in order to steal. It's truly unbelieveable! Thankfully, I still find Wal-Mart pranks entertaining (so long as I'm not the one cleaning up afterwards). At least, it's never boring.