Saturday, August 1, 2009

Nine Years Ago...

Nine years ago today I was probably hanging out with some friends or my family. I could have been at the movies or the mall or the grocery store. I have no idea what I was doing exactly nine years ago today. I had no idea that my sweet, precious Taylor would be born the next day. I had no idea that one of my greatest heroes in life was about to make her big entrance on this earth. I had no idea that my life would be changing forever, but it did. Taylor will turn 9 tomorrow and even though I do not have the precious memories of her birth and seeing her for the first time as a little baby, she's still my sweet daughter. I do remember the first time I ever saw Taylor. It was a Sunday night about 7 1/2 years ago. I walked into the church foyer and saw the cutest little girl tottling around. I asked who she was and someone pointed down at the end of the room to a ping pong table that was set up and said, "That's Taylor. She's Alan's daughter." My next question was, "Who's Alan?" The person with all the information informed me that he was the guy playing ping pong. That was the first time I ever saw Alan or Taylor (at least that I know of) but I knew that little girl was special. I remember the months following when I got to know her better. I knew we had a special bond, me and Taylor. Every Sunday night, we would lead worship for the college ministry and after every service she would run up to me and ask, "Horsies?" We would go for long walks outside and look at the horses behind the church. She named them, Stick and Ball. I would bring her coloring books and crayons and little toys to play with while we practiced. I loved that little girl and I didn't even know then that one day she would be my daughter. It was impossible not to love her. She was just so precious! I have so many amazing memories of Taylor. Her 4 year old flamingo birthday party that I got to help plan. The first time she came and had a sleepover at my house after Alan and I were dating. The way she totally blew the marriage proposal by asking "Hey Dad, when are you gonna give her that ring like we practiced?" I love all these memories. Taylor is the strongest little girl I know. In her 9 short years she has been through more than I probably ever will in a lifetime. She has showed me the beauty of being flexible by adapting to whatever situation she was put in. She has showed me a quiet grace and thoughtfulness in her sincere desire to protect others feelings. She has had every reason to grow bitter or angry at certain situations, but instead she just chooses love. Despite all reasons against it, she still chooses love, and I know she always will. This week, I have the amazing honor of signing papers that will set the process of adoption in motion. I am so overjoyed to get to give this gift to Taylor. The gift of choosing her. I just always want her to know that someone did choose her. Really she is the one who is the gift to me. I couldn't think of a greater gift than being her mom. And even though I have considered myself her mom for over 4 years now, there's just something about making it official. Happy birthday sweet Taylor! I love you more than you will ever know. You teach me so many lessons every day and I am honored to call you my daughter.

Taylor and Alan
Taylor and Ava...she's the best big sister!!!
Taylor and Pepa
Birthday girl just having fun!

10 comments:

The Barnyards said...

Um, Crying. This is beautiful, Leslie!! Happy birthday beautiful Taylor!!

Paige Allen said...

I'm crying too! I'm so thankful God brought Taylor to our family...what a wonderful example she is to all of us - and the perfect young lady for her sisters & cousins to look up to...Happy Birthday Sweet Tay!

Fortner Family said...

Happy bitrthday Taylor! I know this adoption process is very special! So happy for you guys.

Anonymous said...

You know I'm crying. We love you Taylor so much. YOu are so special to all of us. Madison especially loves her Tay Tay. Thank you for being such a wonderful example to my little girl.

Sarah said...

WOW-this is the sweetest post. What a give God has given you through Taylor! It was always so evident you two had a special relationship. I love your story, what a testimony! Happy birthday beautiful Taylor, what a blessing you are!

Jennifer said...

Tears, tears, and more tears. I'm so glad that God brought you and Taylor together. You're both completely fantastic.

Denae said...

Such a sweet post for a sweet girl!! Happy Birthday Taylor! You are loved!

Enid said...

Ohh man I am so touched Leslie. Well I didn't know Alan was her birth dad. You are blessed Leslie. This is awsome, and now I am craying!

The Louders said...

Tears, definitely. Trying to read this to Jantz and just can't help it. Whew, we love you Taylor. And man, Les, what an incredible incredible story and gift from the Lord! K, gotta go get a kleenex now. Man, God, you're soooo good!!

mandal said...

She is so precious! Donna and I saw Taylor and your mom at the mall the other day. She was so cute talking about Josh and Paige's little boy would look like. Briefcase and all! You're such a good mommy!