Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Little Troopers

This has been a bit of a bummer week. On Monday, Ava had to have her skin tested again for allergies. We wanted to see if she had possibly outgrown her peanut allergy and to see if she had any outdoor allergies as well. The peanut allergy is still there and she also is allergic to egg whites! This was news to us. She has eaten eggs many times (she loves them!) and products with eggs. Luckily she is not allergic to any grasses, weeds, dogs or cats. So after having her back pricked with about 50 different allergens (she did great by the way!) we had to get her blood drawn so they can test the severity of the two food allergies. This was the yucky part. Thankfully I had Alan with me that day. He held her when they were taking her blood which is good because on the first arm they blew the vein. I'm not even sure what that means but that's what the lady said as she yanked the needle out of her arm. Alan is so patient and just held Ava and was keeping her as calm as he could. I am stressing out in the corner glaring at the lady sending her telepathic messages to get this one right or I might start digging needles into her arm. I don't do well when my kid is screaming and they are trying to get a gallon of blood out of her. Seriously, they took so much blood I wasn't sure if there would be any left in her little body! So, that was Monday all before lunch! Tuesday was Molly Kate's turn. She had her two month check up and had to get four shots, two in each leg. There she laid just smiling and cooing (she's cooing now! It's the cutest thing ever!) and then out of nowhere BAM!! The first stick she just looked at me and turned really red but by the second one she was screaming. Again, I can't stand anyone hurting my babies and making them scream. Unfortunately I was alone this time and teared up a bit myself. After her shots I picked her up and she didn't cry much more. She was such a good little baby! My girls are troopers!

Just a little update on Pepa. I snuck Taylor and Ava up to see him Monday afternoon. He got a good report on a CAT scan that morning and was in a good mood. He asked if he could see the girls so I smuggled them up to his room. He was so excited to see them! He and Ava are great buddies. He took her for a "ride" on his hospital bed. They went up and down for about 30 minutes and Ava never got tired of it. They laughed and had a good time. Ava kept calling him a "major rockstar" which is from Alvin and the Chipmunks, her favorite movie. I think it was really good for Pepa. It seemed to lift his spirits even more. Keep praying and maybe Pepa will get to go home soon!