Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A challenging day

I never thought I would be writing a blog about my two year old that made me cry today. If you know Ava, you know that she is a sweetie with lots of personality and is perhaps a genius of some sort. You probably also know that she can be very strong willed and a tad demanding at times. Well, her behavior the last few months has gotten pretty bad. She has bitten several of her friends among other various attacks. Everyone has just chalked it up to her adjusting to the new baby sister at home. I am doing my very best at disciplining her. Maybe God is giving me a taste of my own medicine because I used to laugh at my mother when she would spank me, or maybe it is from all those times I have looked at other people's kids and said (under my breath) "I would never let my child act like that." To all you mothers that I have secretly judged, I apologize. I realize that sometimes no matter how many spankings, time outs, toys taken away, and any other creative form of discipline I have tried, some kids are just challenging. Even in all my efforts to be consistent I am just at a loss of how to deal with this child!
Our troubles today have included but are not limited to: make up smeared all over her face, hands, and the carpet...twice, running through the house with a pair of scissors...twice (two different pairs), coloring a ceramic vase with blue crayon, coloring on the arm of my couch with a pen, yelling at me to "shush" and telling me I was being too loud. This one really got to me. She just sounded so mean and hateful. During her nap, I raided the entire house and have found all the scissors, markers, pens, and makeup and they all have new homes on the highest shelves in my house. So, if you think about it, say a prayer for Ava Grace and for me. I need a little extra grace right now to deal with this "spirited" child!

Hard to believe such a sweet girl can be so vicious sometimes!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry. I don't think I am ready for the 2s. If you need a break we would be happy for a play date once Madison is better.

Fortner Family said...

Oh Leslie!! I'm so sorry she is being a "little" difficult. When ever you need a break call me!!

Jennifer said...

OOohhhhhh! So funny and so frustratingly sad all at the same time!! I hope tomorrow is a much MUCH better day for the two of you!

If not, just send her up here. Holly always tells people they should send their kids to Jenn's Boot Camp and I'll get them straightened out within 2 weeks. heeeheeheheheheheeeee!!
I used to be a Nanny, you know...


But for reals...I really do hope things change for the better...QUICKLY!

Paige Allen said...

Sorry, sister. I would love an Ava day, so call me the next time you need some time to breath or collect scissors...

Dominika said...

I don't have any advice but wanted to tell you that I feel your frustration. Ava has been incredibly challenging and can't be left alone even for a minute either. I think it's the age. My boys were horrible at 3, but both girls were a handful at 2. All I can say is that it DOES get better. This is the age that they are testing their boundries and us. Keep doing what you're doing and this new "attitude" will pass, it just takes a little time.

Unknown said...

I totally feel for you. M went through that stage in a big way, and I know we had judging eyes from time to time. Now I am seeing their kids have those "my kid would never do that" moments. Seems like just when you think it will never pass, it does!!

The Barnyards said...

Leslie!!! SO sorry! I love little Ava and know that this will pass. Jonah acted the worst when River came. He still is a very "spirited" child but not as extreme in his behavior anymore. Praying for you. Talk to you soon!

Enid said...

Leslie I will continue keeping you in my prayers, you are a blessing to many and inspiration. This season will go fast as you already know with T, but then you will have another fun season in a couple of years..with a sweet 10yrs old, a dramatic 4yrs old and a 2 years old...!!
I am leaving that season just now, with a 8 and 6 yrs old in between. I pray that you get faster than the two years old...!

Gordy and Ruth said...

Girl I feel ya! I am going through the EXACT same things with Parker. People tell me it's going to get better, so I guess we'll get through this too! You're such a great mom I don't know how you do it!! Have a fantastic week!

Embracing Grace said...

First of all, You are an amazing mother! The way you are with your childrens is wonderful. Don't get discouraged! I don't have any mommy advice obviously, but you are beautiful and God will give you the patience and wisdom. Love you

Liz said...

My baby just turned 20. All yucky memories have faded and only the sweet good ones remain! Be brave and stay strong and laugh so you don't cry!