Sunday, July 18, 2010

A few of my favorite things...

When I was little The Sound of Music was probably my favorite movie. No, I take that back. It was Grease, but SOM was a close 2nd. I had a thing for musicals. I wanted to grow up and be Leisel someday in a play. Came close to that once, but it fell through. Ahhh, the dream that got away....

Anyways, in Sound of Music there is a song called Favorite Things. When I was around 14 I learned to play it for a piano recital. I HATE reading music (bad thing for a musician) so it was a humongous challenge for me, but I did it. I've had that song running through my head for some reason today, so this blog post will be about...you guessed it! My favorite things! (well, favorite things of this week)

#1- Seeing a friend fulfill a long time dream! My friend, Ruth Menefee and her precious family are in Colombia to meet and pick up their new beautiful daughter, Abi! I don't honestly know Ruth all that well, but she is one of those warm people who make you feel so great. You talk to her and you feel like you've known her forever. She is so open and friendly and in the most amazing, genuine way. The story of Abi coming to their family is incredible. You should follow Ruth's blog and read their story for yourself! You will be inspired by this mama's relentless courage and commitment to the dream God put in her heart!

#2- A much needed girls night! On Thursday, I went to dinner with two dear friends. These girls have been in my life for about 15 years, and I thank God for them! We laughed, we cried (only because we were laughing so hard), we ate some super yummy food, and we just had the best time. Thanks to my wonderful husband for keeping the girls and giving me a night off!

#3- Watching my girls play with their cousins. We are blessed so much wonderful family so close by. On Wednesday, we went over to my sister's house to let the girls play in the kiddie pools. It's so fun to watch them play together. I loved hearing their little giggles and shrieks as they splashed each other and waded in the pool. What a blessing to know that my girls not only have awesome cousins, but life-long friends!

#4- Reading my cousin Stacie's blog. This girl is seriously one of the most creative people I know! Her talent has always amazed me, even when she was really young. Now to see her as a wife, mother and artist...I love it! She is beyond talented, and you should check out her stuff here!

#5- Spending a fun afternoon with my grandmother- Mema had knee replacement surgery last week and she is spending some time in a rehab hospital. I took the girls up for a visit. Surprisingly we did not get kicked out, despite the loud screaming from time to time. It makes me so happy to see my grandmother's face light up as soon as the girls walk in the room. Ava did some ballet dancing for her, and Mema showed the girls her scar from the surgery. We all laughed and talked about what we wanted to be when we grow up over chocolate milk shakes (Mema wants to be a Mema, Ava wants to be a princess, a mom, and a musketeer. Taylor is undecided, but probably a nurse, and I want to be a chef when I grow up!) I love these special visits and it's always hard to leave because I know how much joy and therapy it brings my Mema when we come.

#6- Leading worship with my husband and an amazing team! We are working on a CD project and it is going pretty good. It is so much work and from time to time I get a little overwhelmed at the thought of all that still needs to be done, but then we have services like this weekend and I am just so excited and honored to be a part of such a great thing! I love that my husband is stepping out (although it is VERY hard for him) and singing and sharing the songs that God has given him. He inspires me everyday! I am one blessed woman!

I am looking forward to a great week and more favorite things! What are some of your favorite things this week?

4 comments:

Gingiber said...

Leslie, thanks so much for mentioning me! I am so happy that you like to read it! I too enjoy reading your blog. It makes me feel like our families are still connected even though we live so far apart!

Embracing Grace said...

All of it...so much fun! Sound of Music was my favorite too! Miss you guys. Sounds like all is well!

Jennifer said...

Looks like your are very blessed!

Unknown said...

I was taken to The Sound of Music when I was five years old, loved it then, and still love it now. So much so that I wrote a website about it!
Linda
The Sound of Music Guide