Wednesday, December 23, 2009

New traditions and a new friend

I love this time of year. I think more than the actual holiday, I am loving spending so much time with my family. My girls are all out of school and we are enjoying each day together. It's so great to see my two oldest, despite their 6 year age difference (Taylor is 9 and Ava is 3) getting along so well. Ava has matured a little bit and doesn't annoy Taylor quite so bad. And when Taylor does need a break Ava just goes and plays with her imaginary friend, Halloween. Yes, her name is Halloween. Halloween showed up in early October about 3 weeks before the actual holiday of Halloween. I think Ava heard that word on TV or in a store and really liked the word. She had no idea it was a holiday, but I noticed her using that word a lot as she was talking to herself (she does that a lot too!). A few days later she introduced me to her new friend, Halloween. It took me a little while to figure out what on earth she was saying. She kept asking if Halloween could come over and play. I kept trying to explain to her that Halloween was a holiday and she just kept looking at me like I was stupid. "No mom, I'm talking about my friend, Halloween. I want her to come over and play dress up with me." My response was, "Ava, Halloween is a day where some people dress up and go get candy." Again, I got the "You're stupid" look. Once I finally realized that she had a new friend that was totally alive in her mind I quit trying to explain the holiday. I honestly thought Halloween would stick around for a few days, maybe a week and would be gone. Oh no...this was not the case. Halloween has become a pretty regular part of our day. If we go somewhere, Halloween comes along. I even have to buckle her in her pretend car seat next to Ava. Ava will usually give me an update on what Halloween is wearing that day. Occassionally, we set a place for her at dinner. She's gone from living down the street in her imaginary house to moving in with us. Now Ava has informed me that I have four kids: Taylor, Ava, Molly Kate, and Halloween. She thought it was a better idea if they were sisters. Is this unhealthy? Am I unknowingly scaring my child for life because sometimes I go along with her imagination and pretend Halloween's there because it's easier than fighting with a 3 year old about it?? I'm sure I'm not the only mom who's dealt with this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! If Taylor is feeling especially ornery one day, she'll tease Ava about Halloween not being real. It usually ends in a screaming match with Ava in tears defending her new sister's existence. I'll give it a little while longer, and I'm hoping it just goes away. I mean, I know I'm not going to send Ava off to college with Halloween. And we probably won't even make it to kindergarten with her! Nonetheless, Halloween is here for now (even has a present under the tree, from Ava) and I'm not going to worry about it too much.

This year, we have decided to start a new Rich family tradition. We are going to have a special family day on Christmas Eve!! Every year we have sort of rushed through our little family's time to get to the bigger family events. On Christmas Eve night we have a huge Christmas with all of my cousins and family on my mom's side. Then Christmas morning, we go back to my mom's for Christmas with my immediate family, and then Taylor leaves for her other mom's on Christmas day after lunch. All of Alan's family is in Dallas, and we don't like to travel on Christmas, so we don't have to worry about somehow seeing all of them as well. So, this year, since we have our own little growing family, we've decided to make Christmas Eve a special day for us. It will actually start tonight. We are taking the girls to see the new Alvin and the Chipmunks, then to look at Christmas lights. We will come home and all open up our new Christmas pajamas and then in the morning we will wake up and have our own little "Christmas morning" of presents, stockings and a yummy breakfast. I'm really excited about doing something new and taking time just for the five of us. Don't get me wrong, I love our usual traditions with all of the extended family, but I think it's important to start some new things and have some things that are special for the five of us. We are going to spend most of the day in our PJ's, playing with all the new toys, watching movies, and just enjoying one another. At 5:30 we'll head to Christmas Eve communion at church and then on to the big family Christmas that night. I think it sounds like a great time!

I hope you all have a very blessed holiday. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hannakuh, or any other special day, I pray you find time to enjoy your family and the relaxed pace to sit and take some deep breaths! I know I will!!

4 comments:

Denae said...

Halloween made me laugh!! That is so cute. And I have heard that it is normal and perfectly fine for kids to have imaginary friends at that age.

Jill Hurley said...

I'm not a parent, so I can't speak with expertise, but I do think it's extremely important to encourage your child's imagination. Eph 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do more than we can ask or imagine..." I've been pondering the fact that for some reason as adults we don't let our imaginations imagine what God can do. So helping your child foster a healthy imagination will help her imagine bigger possibilities from a big God. I'm not sure how imaginary friends fit into this hypothesis though. I would assume that with quality one on one time with Ava, Halloween will soon enough disappear. But like I said, I'm not a parent, so your guess is as good as mine.

Sarah said...

I like your new traditions! I don't have kids but I from what I do know it is perfectly normal for children to have imaginary friends at Ava's age, eventually she will grow out of it. Truthfully, she probably knows she is not "real" like you or taylor but its fun! I had an imaginary friend and I still remember playing with her. :) Love your stories about your sweet girls! Merry Christmas

Jennifer said...

Ava is FINE! No worries! I mean, look at me. I'm GREAT. I'm perfectly normal, right?! Yes, eventually Petula Gutenhousen moved out and got her own place...but she and I still keep in touch. Mainly through facebook now...but I appreciate the fact that she never fully went away and is there when I need her.