Monday, January 18, 2010

New...

I love starting a new year. It's like you get a fresh start, or a do-over if you need one. 2010 is definitely full of newness for the Rich family. So here are some of the new things we have going on.

First off, Alan and I started a new job! We are the worship pastors at Church on the Rock. I know many of you are reading this thinking, "isn't that your old job?" Not at all!! At least that's how we are approaching this job. Before I worked part time as the worship leader at COTR. Now, I'm not into titles, but I really feel like God wants me to take the new part about being a pastor very seriously. Being a worship pastor is so much more than just leading a song service. I really have a desire to pastor the people I am priveleged to get to have on our team. Over the last seven months, God has been teaching us so many principles on leadership and working with people. Now we know why! We are honored to get to pastor alongside some other incredible pastors at our church and even more honored to get to pastor some incredible people! This whole experience is keeping me very humble and in constant, desparate need for Jesus. It's a great place to be! We have so many exciting plans and ideas for the ministry and I can't wait to see the year unfold and to see all that God has in store.

Along with this new job, comes new pressure to figure out balance. Balance is a HUGE thing for me! When I was working before, I definitely allowed my family to suffer in the time department. We are so determined to not let that happen this time around. My kiddos will only be yound once, so I am going to enjoy it! And we are enjoying it!! We have three amazing girls and I am honored to be their mommy. Can't wait to see what God has for each of them this year!

2010 will usher in the arrival of a new me!!! I have struggled with my weight for the last 10+ years. For me, the battle is mostly mental, but I am ready to turn that all around. I can no longer use the "I just had a baby" excuse, since my baby is 14 months old! My good friend, Missy, challenged ladies who wanted to lose some weight and do it together through accountability, encouragement, and prayer. Initially my response was yes!!! I need all the help I can get!! And to top it off, the grand prize for the "biggest loser" is $2000!!! Um, that's pretty good motivation. I waivered a little bit in making the decision, because I was worried about the time it might take away from our already precious family time. But I wanted to lose weight, and did not want to attempt to do that (again) all by myself. So, I told Missy on Thursday that I wanted to do it. I barely made it in under the deadline. I weighed in that day and the journey began! I only had 3 days until the next weigh in since I joined late, but I was determined to do something. The "me" from the past would have said, "oh, I'll just wait and get started next week," all the while stuffing my face all weekend long, but I decided that "me" needed to go!! I started working out here at home, and counting my calories every day. Yesterday, was my first official group weigh in and......(drum roll, please)....I lost 3.2 pounds!! In 3 days!!! Can you tell I'm pumped? I really feel confident this time. And if I don't win the money, that's ok. It's a fantastic motivator, but just knowing that I have 19 other women going on this journey with me makes it so much easier and so much more fun! I also have an anniversary trip in April to motivate me. The thought of being on a beach in a bathing suit got my rear in gear, real quick!!! So, I may post updates from time to time. I WON'T be posting actual weight :) just weight loss!

Finally, we are thinking about moving to a new house! With interest rates like they are we were going to refinance our house. The more we talked we realized if we do refinance, we will be in this house for at least five more years. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! I already feel like we are busting at the seams here, and as my kids get older it's only going to get worse. I like my house and I am very grateful for what we have, but we figured for the same payment we are making now we can easily get into a 4 bedroom house and a much nicer, newer home that is not always a project in the works (like our current house). With the kids at the ages they are at, I don't have time for anymore projects!! So, we are in decision mode and excited about the possibility of another new change!

In the midst of all the change and newness, I am glad that one thing remains constant. I serve a God who can not be moved, He can not be shaken. His mercies are NEW every morning and I choose to put all of my hope and trust in Him alone. Now, that's a good feeling!

3 comments:

Fortner Family said...

So proud of you and you will do great!

Enid said...

That is so great...I am so excited I can't stand the joy... for ya'll!!

Jennifer said...

aaahhhhhhhh balance! So desperately trying to find it myself...and I don't even have kids! I'm declaring 2010 the Year of Balance Perfection and I'm pretty sure we can all attain it! :-)

Glad to hear about your new position. I think God is going to do AMAZING things that you've never thought were possible WITH you and Alan...and THROUGH you and Alan!