Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Queen of Denial?

It's amazing what covering up some gray hairs will do for you! Yesterday, I got my hair cut and colored and I don't feel like an old lady anymore. It was getting really bad and had to be done. It's a little darker than I thought it would be, but I know it will fade out a little bit after some washes. The cut is the interesting part. I didn't want it any shorter, so we just did a little trim, but I took the plunge and went for bangs! Not just sweep it to the side, long bangs, but full on bangs! I haven't had bangs since the third grade. This was back in the day of the forward and backward curl followed by lots of teasing to achieve maximum bang height. The reason I gave up on bangs at the ripe old age of eight was because of my cow-lick. (I don't know if this is how you spell it, but I spell it like this because my dad told me I got my "cow lick" after a cow licked my head when I was a baby. I don't know what else to believe or how else to spell it, so just go with it!) The cute, poofy, super-teased bangs were cute on most girls, but not so much on me. Because of the before mentioned cow lick, my poofy bangs were always off to the side. Ok, back to the new cut. The bangs are working and not going off to the side. Thank God for straight irons! After the cut, I got mostly positive reactions. This always makes a girl feel good. I did however, get three comments that it looked like a wig. Now, normally I would just stick with the positive comments and ignore the wig ones, but all three wig comments were from family members, so my thought is this. Does it really look like a bad wig and my family are the only ones being honest with me? Are all of these people who are giving me positive feedback lying to me? Are these people really my friends???
Here are the wig comments:
Dad: "Ooo, cool. Cleopatra wig. Didn't you ever see Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor? Cleopatra wig!"
Taylor: "You got your hair cut. It looks like a wig. At least the gray hairs are gone."
Alan: (shocked look on his face followed by an attempt at a graceful recovery) "It's different. I like it. It almost looks like a wig." (more attempts at recovering from shocked face and previous comments) "I mean a nice, expensive wig. Not a cheap one."
What is that? Sheer honesty is what I think it is. So all of you so called friends out there who said you liked my hair, I don't know if I can believe you. My sister did tell me that she did not think it looked like a wig, but she could be lying to me. She knows I'm in a hormonal postpartum state still, and maybe she is trying to salvage my feelings. Regardless of the comments (good or wig-related) I like the hair. I think that's all that matters, and if not, the bangs will grow and we can all go back to normal some day!

9 comments:

Dominika said...

I think a photo is in order! I'm sure you look great, it's just a different look than they're used to and it's probably a bit surprising to them. Give them a couple of days to get used to it and I'm sure they're going to love it! :o)

Sarah said...

Picture Please! You know I will tell you the truth. :) We are true friends! I am sure it looks great-You know I think most people want their hair to look like a wig. So perfect, it cannot be real! (cheesy, I know)

Jennifer said...

Hello Leslie!?!?!? How can you post this withOUT a picture?
Clearly a picture is needed and the blog world should vote on it.

And there's always the bright side that if it does in fact look like a wig, then at least it's the expensive kind- and not the cheap looking kind!!!



fyi- my verification word is 'Euseeta' - I think it should totally be the name of your next girl!

Enid said...

I agree a picture! Like the say..it will grow and we all get used to it.

Anonymous said...

I would never lie. What kind of a sister do you think I am. If your sisters don't tell you the trust who will.

your hair does look very different, but not wig like. The blog world is demanding a picture, and I don't expect you to disappoint.

Fortner Family said...

LESLIE!!! You have a GREAT haircut!! I promise I would not lie to you about that...believe me when I have a bad cut and everyone tells me it's great I know their lying. The cut makes you look even hotter then you did before, because we both know your one hot mama!!

Paige Allen said...

You did look a bit like Cleopatra when you walked into the office yesterday, but wasn't Cleopatra considered the most beautiful woman on the earth? I actually love the hair - I've always liked you with darker hair - it makes your eyes pop...you look fabulous!

Liz said...

I think you should do a blog survey............WITH PICS! I bet you look beaaaaautiful!

The Barnyards said...

Post some pics! I'm sure you look amazingly beautiful!! Funny post though...made me laugh.