Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Batch Cooking Night!

I am very excited about Thursday night! I am hosting a Batch-Cooking "Tell All" night at my house. I have batch cooked for a while now, but this last time I did it, I cooked with someone new. She was fabulous! So organized, so together, it just made it even more fun! And when we were finished I came home with 46 meals to put in my freezer. We have saved SOOOOO much money just by eating at home more. And the food is good and much healthier than eating out all the time. After sharing a little about my cooking madness (on Facebook and Twitter) there was an overwhelming response to Missy and myself for pointers, recipes, tips, etc. So after thinking about it for a while, I thought, "Why not??" This may sound crazy, but I am actually very nervous about it!! I am no expert, so I am doing everything I can to be prepared and get all my thoughts straight so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about!

I think the reason I am most excited to do this is because I know it will bless others families. I know how much it has blessed mine! And not just all the food. It's a blessing of more time. Even though the two days of planning, shopping, and crazy amounts of cooking are a lot of time away from my family, the time that I save scrambling to get dinner on the table everyday is huge! It has also been a blessing for me to get to spend lots of time with different ladies. My first batch cook was several years ago with a dear friend, Jenifer. She showed me the ropes, and eased me into it. I realized that I could do it, even though it seemed like an overwhelming task. She is super mom by the way, raising four kids and all that goes along with that. But she made it seem easy and attainable. Now four years later, I'm still doing it! I've cooked several times with my sister-in-law and it has been good bonding time for us. You will talk about everything under the sun with a batch cooking partner!! After 14 hours of cooking chicken, browning meat, and opening cans, there's no telling what you will be talking about!! I found that to be true after cooking with Missy this last time. I also found Missy to be extremely gracious, putting up with my multiple mistakes. Note: It is important to "seal" the bottom of the bag BEFORE you begin pouring in the apricot chicken marinde!

It is a blessing to know that I am contributing to my family's well being. Now that I'm not working, I feel the need even more to "contribute." I feel like it is now my job to save us even more money, now that I'm not bringing home a paycheck! So all that to say, this Thursday I am excited about sharing the blessing that batch cooking has been in my life with friends. It's not too late! Let me know if you want to come and I will give you more details!

3 comments:

Enid said...

Looking forward to it!

Jennifer said...

Ok I have been disconnected from the world for 4 weeks now so I just saw the thing on Facebook! I am so excited! I really need to get back on the batch cooking bandwagon! But I have been lacking in motivation and new recipes! So whoo hoo I am ready!!! And all the Watsons say a collective Yeah!!

mandal said...

Last night was so much fun! I am ready to try out the yummy recipes!