Monday, October 27, 2008

Bizarro Sunday

Does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is in Bizarro world? Well, yesterday was Bizarro Sunday. I vaguely remember the Sunday of last year's Pursue conference being a little wacky also, but yesterday was just crazy!!! First of all let me say that the Pursue Conference was so fantastic. I have to give major props to my sister Paige for her spearheading of the entire event. Also to Kyla who works harder than probably anyone else at the church and makes things amazing!!! I would work on anything with these two girls!!! Of course there are countless others who amaze me and absolutely rock my socks off. Maybe I'll write another blog about them tomorrow.

So, back to Bizarro day. We got to church at 7:30 am for the usual sound check and run through of some songs before the service. I honestly was in no rush. We had already led worship 4 times in the last two days in the same room, so we were all kind of taking our time. Once we got started there was a crazy buzzy, feedback sound. The sound guys were pretty sure it had something to do with the electrical end of one of the guitar amps. I don't know anything about this stuff, so I was just waiting patiently for them to figure it all out. After many failed attempts, Randall was just about to crawl under the stage and see what could have possibly happened overnight to make things get so crazy. About that time they kind of realized that they had traced it to the wrong channel or something and it was the acoustic guitar. Turns out, the battery was dead and it just needed to be changed. So, about 12 seconds later we were back at it.

We had run through most everything we needed to and it was almost 8:45, which is when I like to be done so that people can come in and we're not up there singing. Well, we are finishing the last song and here comes my dad down the hallway with a vacuum cleaner. If you don't know, my dad is the Senior Pastor of the church. He has never been one of those people who thinks he's above any job, so I guess he saw something that needed to be vacuumed and just took care of it himself. So, here he comes 15 minutes before the service with his vacuum. Plugs it in and proceeds to suck up something that was bothering him right in the door way. I have no idea what was there. Then it got funny because some ushers saw what he was doing and were trying to help or grab the vacuum or something and it just looked like this little circus in the doorway. It was quite funny.

Ok, here's the big kicker. We started the service differently because we were wrapping up this conference and we wanted to make it special and what not. So, we start with all the lights out and I am standing right at the front edge of the stage. I start to sing "Hosanna" and we show this awesome video of people's faces from all over the world. It just really sets the tone for what we were wanting to get across, just focusing on God and on the people who break His heart. Anyways, that song goes good, and we start into song #2. I am not actually leading this song so I'm kind of standing back a little bit. I guess my eyes were closed, because I felt Kyla push my back. I just figured I was about to run into something behind me so I scooted up a little bit. Well, she kept pushing me and I looked out and my dad and sister were both on the front row telling me to come here. I thought it was really odd because we were in the middle of the song. I thought maybe they just needed me to announce something so I'm kind of looking down at them and then Paige says, "Come here, NOW!" At this point I think I must be in trouble. My first thought was that maybe my shirt was see through or something crazy like that. I walk down to where they are, mind you the song is still going. At the same time they both say, "Your zipper is down." So, here I am, on the front row, having just drawn attention to myself by walking off the stage in the middle of a song. Luckily I had muted my microphone before they both announced my fashion faux pas. I kind of half way hid behind my dad and zipped it right up! Now my dilemma was how to get back on the stage. Should I go around the side and try to sneak on? Should I just walk straight up? And then I started realizing that I had opened the entire service by myself in a spotlight, dead center of the stage. I am 37 weeks pregnant, so I am already attracting enough attention to that area of my body with the planet that has become my stomach. Oh well, no time to worry about this now, I just decide to haul it back up there, right up the middle of the stairs and kept on singing. BIZARRO DAY!!!

I decided that if that was the worst thing to happen to me all day, then I was doing pretty good. It could have been worse. I had nightmares the entire week before the conference that my water was going to break on stage in the middle of worship. Now that would have been embarrassing!!! I survived Bizarro day and now I can rest for a bit. I have two weeks until Molly Kate arrives and so now I can focus on getting ready for her arrival!!!

9 comments:

Paige Allen said...

So glad you survived the bizzaro day...and your zipper wasn't that noticable. Dad wanted me to come up on stage to tell you, but I said, "what is she going to do up there? it will be really obvious then..." So, my goal was to get you down - hopefully it wasn't too noticable!

Enjoy these last two weeks before Molly Kate enters the world...

Fortner Family said...

Oh Leslie!! I'm so sorry but that is so funny! I didn't even notice that you left the stage so maybe nobody else did either.

Anonymous said...

This is so funny, but such a White girl thing to do. We have all been there. Well maybe not on stage, but it has happened to me many time in front of my class. And 6th graders are less than forgiving about zipper mishaps. Seriously, they still have buggers coming out of their noses, and they fart and burp all the time. Give me a break. hehehe.

Enjoy the last two weeks before you become a mom of 3!!! OMG. I can't wait. I am asking off today.

Dominika said...

How funny! I'm sure you were more aware of it than anyone else. Oh and I have to say, and hopefully I'm not repeating myself, but I just love the name Molly Kate. Can't wait to see photos of the precious bundle!

Cheryl said...

So very funny. For a minute there I thought you were going to say that the vacuuming and your zipper had something in common.

Hey, if it make you feel any better...I wet my pants on stage...a stage covered with satin...but I was 5 at the time.

I had my Junior picture in high school made with a button on my top undone...not on purpose.

Then there was the time when I tripped in front of the Engineering Building at Tech and ripped my pants.

There are more stories, but like you...ya just have to move on.

Great second service by the way. Blessings...

Jennifer said...

That is freakin HILARIOUS!

Ok and here's the creepy thing...maybe it was my "propheticness" coming out...but yesterday while I was leading worship- I actually became obsessed with the fear that my zipper was down and I kept checking it a zillion times.

Now THAT'S bizarro!

Holly said...

Leslie -- I so noticed... I couldn't stop looking at your zipper the entire time.... I laughed out loud and told all the people around me... "Did you see Leslie's zipper is down? Isn't that funny?" Did you not hear me shout it at you during Hosanna?? I screamed, "Hey Leslie -- Zip it up!" and when you didn't I got louder and enunciated, "ZIP IT UP!" but I guess you didn't hear me.
Okay, not really... I didn't notice anything and I was like on the third row... didn't notice the zipper, didn't notice Paige and your dad and didn't notice you going back on stage.... I had no idea you weren't up there the whole time until I read the blog. I've never been the most observant girl on the planet, but I really think you were discreet and fine.

CONNIE said...

That blog takes me back a few years when we were sitting on the front row and there was only one song left in worship and William Prince came from the back and announced to me that my skirt was split all the way up. The really funny thing was that he wanted to surround me with a group of ushers to walk me out. I opted for just sitting down and not leaving until everyone else left. Come to find out, it wasn't near as bad as I thought! Enjoy your next two weeks!

Liz said...

helllllllllo! We are a VERY worshipful church! EVERYONE'S eyes were closed!!!
I love Bizzaro World. I visit often! Love YOU! Amazing Weekend!